Precinct Committeemen are the vital grass roots of the Democratic Party. It is a very important way you can volunteer to help elect Democratic candidates. Precinct Committeemen are the link between the Democratic Party and the voters, and between Democratic candidates and the voters.
There is no singular way to serve as a Democratic Precinct Committeeman. You give as much time to it as your situation allows. For example, there are various ways to work your precinct before an election. Some walk door to door. Others mail to voters and call them. Others develop a precinct organization using other volunteers in their precinct.
Here is how the DuPage County Election Commission summarizes the role of precinct committeeman:
Expectations of a precinct committeeman:
• Represent the party’s voters at the county central committee convention to elect the county central chairman and its officers. The precinct committeeman casts a total number of party votes, (weighted vote), as cast in the precinct at the recent primary election.
• Attend and become involved in the party’s Township meetings.
• Become a voter registrar and register all qualified constituents.
• Appoint and fill vacancies of election judges for the precinct polling place.
• Provide candidate and election information to the voters.
• Circulate petitions for candidates prior to the primary election.
• Become familiar with the elected officials and legislatures so the concerns of the voters can be passed on to them
DuPage County Board of Elections Website
A precinct committeeman is elected in even numbered years in the Democratic Primary. In order to get on the primary ballot, the precinct committeeman candidate must get signatures on a petition from at least 10 Democratic voters in the precinct in which he/she resides.
If there is a vacancy in the post of Democratic Precinct Committeeman in any precinct, a committeeman can be appointed by the Chair of the DuPage County Democratic Party.
If there is already a Democratic Precinct Committeeman in your precinct, you can be appointed as committeeman in a nearby precinct.
If you are interested in becoming a precinct committeeman, you should contact the Democratic Township Chair for your township. He/she can assist you in getting petitions signed to be on the primary ballot, or in being appointed by the Democratic County Chair.